All members must agree to abide by the club rules and constitution.
1. Buoyancy aids must be worn at all times.
2. Helmets must be worn during pool sessions and wet training on the water.
3. All members under the age of 18 years must have written parental consent to participate in any Club activity.
4. Members must not be on the water unless a qualified coach / supervisor is present and has given his / her specific permission to do so.
5. All supervised activities will be conducted by BCU qualified coaches appropriate for that activity and conditions.
6. Swimming in the water whilst canoeing is taking place is forbidden unless as part of supervised rescue training.
7. Weirs and other dangerous water should only be used in the presence of a level 3 coach, or equivalent, operating within their remit and helmets must be worn at all times.
8. All Club equipment should be returned to the appropriate place in a clean state. It is the responsibility of the member using the equipment to ensure its care and safe return. Any damage must be reported to a coach/committee member immediately.
9. Only fully paid up members are entitled to use Club facilities. Members may bring guests on advertised Guest Nights only.
10. Members should respect the rights of other members, the general public and neighbours of the Club by not acting in a way that may cause offence, nuisance or endanger themselves, others or the environment. Whilst taking part in activities members should follow the guidance contained in the leaflet ‘You, your canoe and the environment’, which provides good practice advice about taking responsibility for your actions, consideration for others and caring for the environment. A copy of the leaflet is available in the Clubhouse.
11. At least three members must be on the water at any time for safety reasons.
12. Club equipment can only be used at Club meetings and on Club trips, unless special permission is obtained from the Committee. Any equipment used must be signed out from the Club in the book kept in the Clubhouse, and signed back on return.
13. Keys to the Clubhouse are issued to instructors and Committee Members at the Committee’s discretion. All keyholders must agree to abide by the rules signed at the time of key issue.
14. Use of rope swings is not covered by our insurance and is therefore not allowed.
Any breach of the rules may result in suspension of membership. Reviewed March 2017